I was lying in bed last night trying to get to sleep, slowly drifting off when a loud thought entered my brain … “Do rabbits have noses?”. It’s a bit late as I’ve done most of the painting on 2 new pieces featuring goofy, tubby bunny rabbits. Hmmm. So in the world of rachelcreative bunnies have pink noses. Got that?
I think it demonstrates my current slightly faltering thought process which I blame on ME/CFS. Mr Creative says I’ve always been a dit dizzy and a bit ditzy but even so usually important things (like bunny noses) are well thought out.
The other example of this is the total doofus I have been over getting the right varnish finish for my new acrylic paintings. I’ve been wrestling with this for a couple of weeks at least. Mixing gloss and matte to make satin finish, preparing test paintings to experiment on, reading articles and searching through forums for advice. I resorted to buying a third bottle of Golden’s varnish which is ready mixed satin and was still getting the same result – a kind of odd silvery effect on the surface that reminded me of slug trails. Sigh.
Try as I might I have just not been able to get the finish I wanted and was getting ready to compromise on the finish just to get these finished paintings finally, properly finished and ready to sell!
Then last night … just before I started stressing about what bunnies noses look like … I realised where I’ve been going wrong.
Here’s me adding a bit of gloss to matte to try and get my desired satin finish with a sheen but not really reflective finish. When what I needed was to add a teeny bit of matte to the gloss. This morning I add 1/4 matte to 3/4 gloss and BAM there’s the beautiful finish I wanted.
Two weeks of looking at this totally the wrong way round. Argh! At least my ickle brain got there in the end before I drove Paul utterly mad with my rantings about varnish.